Sunday, February 19, 2012

Something to Blog About

Well, we all know that I am not a consistent blogger. (Obviously, since my last post was in July of last year!) I enjoy reading others' blogs, but when asked why I don't update ours, my response has always been, "Well I don't have much going on to blog about." That's not entirely true...Mike and I have had a lot going on with us the past few years, that until now I have not wanted to make public. Of course, close friends and family know about our struggles, but I have not shared details with people who don't know us as well, or posted it on Facebook. (And we all know once it's on Facebook, you're ready for everyone and their mother to know about it!)

The struggle I'm talking about is infertility.

Mike and I have been trying to start a family for the past (almost) 2 years, and it has been the hardest thing either of us has ever had to endure. Throughout this incredibly difficult journey, I have thought a million times about blogging about our struggles, but have always chickened out. I feel like God has been laying it on my heart for a long time, but I kept pushing aside the thought of it because it's such a personal and emotional subject. However, a dear friend of mine (who is also struggling with infertility) sent me the link to a woman's blog who has begun blogging about her fertility journey. I don't even know this woman, but she was able to put into words everything I have been feeling for the past 2 years. It felt cathartic and freeing to realize that other women out there are experiencing the same emotions, doubts, fears, and frustrations that I am in this journey. I also know that I have already been able to minister to several women who are dealing with this same issue, and I want to use this pain to (hopefully) encourage and normalize this experience for other women. What better platform for that than our blog?

There are several reasons that Mike and I decided I should finally share about our struggles:
1. To let other women struggling in this area know that they are not alone.
2. To bring awareness to a topic that is not openly discussed, but probably should be.
3. To provide an outlet for me to express my feelings about this struggle.
4. And most of all, to share with others how the Lord has been (and still continues to) work on mine and Mike's hearts through this difficult journey.

Over these next few (or many??) blog posts, I am going to share with you the ups and downs and ins and outs of infertility...at least how we have experienced it personally. You'll probably learn WAY more than you want to about fertility treatments and my personal experiences, but I hope that my transparency will speak to others. If just one person feels some sort of comfort after reading about our journey, if just one woman says to herself, "I am not alone in this after all!", if just one person learns anything about relying on the Lord's plans even when it's so hard, then I will have accomplished my purpose in writing this.

I pray that the Lord will use me through this blog to minister to other women out there struggling with the battle of infertility, and that He will get all the glory through this blog and through our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment